Staying on that daily grind: A motivational playlist for midterm season

Close up of a person holding a pencil and filling in bubbles on a scantron.
Manooshree Patel /File

It seems like just yesterday we were complaining about the air quality in November, and now, we’re already in February, enduring our first brutal round of midterms. We at the Clog understand the challenges that come with getting back on the daily grind, so we’ve compiled a motivational playlist to help you power through your studies with ease.

“a lot (feat. J. Cole)” by 21 Savage

Midterms can feel like “a lot” with the never-ending library sessions, all-nighters, cups of coffee and office hour trips. With one listen, however, this chart-topping song by 21 Savage will alleviate the weight on your shoulders so that your only worry is if you missed J. Cole’s part.

“Successful (feat. Trey Songz & Lil Wayne)” by Drake

It’s only fitting with the release of “So Far Gone” across all streaming services this month that we’d include one of Drake’s classics on this playlist. And, what could be more inspiring as you study the night away than a song titled “Successful”?

“Run This Town (feat. Rihanna & Kanye West)” by Jay-Z

Sometimes, all you need is someone to tell you that you’ve got this. Who better to motivate you than Mr. Jay-Z himself through the lyrics of “Run This Town”? That’s right, you run 155 Dwinelle, 2060 VLSB or wherever you happen to be taking your exams these following weeks – just don’t forget to bring a Green Book or calculator.

“Stronger” by Kanye West

After oh-so-many caffeinated beverages and oh-so-little hours of sleep, your body lacks the energy it needs to get back into prime studying mode. Worry not, because with a listen to this iconic Kanye West track, you’ll be feeling much “Stronger” than before. But also, do try and get some rest.

“Praise the Lord (Da Shine)” by A$AP Rocky

We all know the feeling of wishing we had more time to study. If only we hadn’t gone to that party Saturday or spent a wholesome day in San Francisco. Alas, if you’re in need of a song that’ll serve as your last lifeline before the exam, just listen to “Praise the Lord.”

“Unforgettable (feat. Swae Lee)” by French Montana

These past couple of days have been anything but forgettable. Camping out at Moffitt like you pay rent to the library isn’t anyone’s ideal definition of a Tuesday night, but tough times call for even tougher measures. These days may seem hard to forget, but the satisfying look on your face after opening Gradescope will also be “Unforgettable.”

If procrastination has been at an all-time high lately, open up your go-to music streaming app and add these songs as soon as possible. While we can’t guarantee that you’ll ace your upcoming exams, we can assure you that you’ll be invigorated with some newfound motivation.

Contact Erika Lee at [email protected] .