TEDxBerkeley to host 10th anniversary conference with theme ‘Infle(X)ion’

David J. Peterson/Courtesy

TEDxBerkeley will be hosting its 10th-anniversary conference March 9 in Zellerbach Hall with the theme “Infle(X)ion,” meant to bring attention to the changes associated with modern society.

According to TEDxBerkeley co-curator Madhav Nekkar, the theme of Infle(X)ion centers around the rapid changes in political, social and technological realms today.

“As citizens of the most unique period of human history, we are surrounded by transformations across both physical and ideological landscapes,” Nekkar said in an email. “The capital (X) is a pun on the Roman numeral X, since we’re celebrating our 10th anniversary this year.”

Nekkar said the TEDxBerkeley team, which started planning its 10th anniversary immediately after the end of the 2018 conference, is composed of 12 students, an external curator and two senior team advisers.

The team boosted ticket sales by selling tickets about two months earlier than last year and employing marketing strategies through social media, flyering and in-class announcements, according to Nekkar.

According to Nekkar, TEDxBerkeley has already sold nearly 1,200 tickets and expects about 1,600 attendees.

The conference will feature 20 speakers and performers, including CEOs, social entrepreneurs, activists and thought leaders. Some of the speakers include English philosopher and author T!m Freke, ballerina Miko Fogarty and David Peterson, the language creator for shows such as HBO’s “Game of Thrones” and the CW’s “The 100.”

For me, the idea of change is a relevant one,” Peterson said in an email. “This is my ten year anniversary of being a professional language creator, and I don’t see the next ten years being the same as the previous. It’s a nice time to reflect and plan for the future.”

When deciding what speakers to invite, Nekkar said each of the TEDxBerkeley members contributed different ideas based on their personal interests and passions. Members also tried to obtain a fair number of out-of-town speakers, not local to the Bay Area.

The topics of the speeches range from leadership to the intersection of science and spirituality to personal experiences with pain and trauma.

Dan Mulhern, an expert in the field of leadership and an instructor at the Haas School of Business, will speak on the power of pairs in leadership. Amberly Lago, the best-selling author of “True Grit and Grace,” will talk about overcoming traumatic surgeries and chronic pain.

“I am so grateful to have been invited to speak to the Berkeley community and plan to tell the story of my near death experience, the traumatic series of surgeries and healing methods that followed, and how now, as I live with a chronic pain disease, I share how we all have the ability to claim our resilience to get through any of life’s challenges,” Lago said in an email.

Contact Jenny Weng at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @jennyweng1999.