Shoo away the cold! A hearty and filling miso soup to warm you right up

A bowl of noodles in miso soup with mushrooms.
Chandini Dialani/Staff

It’s winter and midterm season. Not only do you not have time to meet with your friends, but there’s also no time to EAT! Going out isn’t always feasible since it costs lots of money and time. Instead, make a quick and easy meal using only a pot and a few ingredients that you can easily pick up on a run to Target. This miso soup makes enough for two, leaving leftovers for another busy night and making investing a little time to cook this dish well worth it.

Ingredients

Serves 2

• 2 cups spinach
  • 5-6 button mushrooms, sliced (if you have access to shiitake mushrooms, even better)
  • 3-4 tablespoons red miso paste
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 pack instant noodles, cooked (leave out the spice packet)
  • 1 red chili pepper, halved lengthwise (optional, leave out if you don’t want it spicy)
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil (for added flavor, try sesame oil or chili oil)

Instructions

Heat a pot of water until it simmers. Next, add the spinach, mushrooms and chili pepper to the pot. Allow the vegetables to cook until the spinach has wilted and the mushrooms have softened.

If you’re using normal cooking oil, add it into the pot now. Otherwise, if you’re using flavored oil such as sesame or chili, use it as a garnish at the very end. When the spinach and mushrooms are cooked, remove chili pepper. Mix in the miso paste, making sure it’s dissolved into the soup. The paste has a tendency to sink straight into the bottom, so be sure to stir it thoroughly! Lastly, add the cooked noodles to the soup.

We hope you enjoyed making this quick and nutritious meal! Good luck with those midterms and bon appétit!

Contact Chandini Dialani at [email protected].