No money? No problem! Cheap ways to have a great spring break

Illustration of a woman laying on a striped pink and white beach towel while on the sand, and right next to her is the same woman but laying in a bed in a gray room, surrounded by papers and books.
Maya Shen /File

Spring break is coming up relatively soon, even if it doesn’t feel like it. Soon, all that the people who sit behind you in lecture will be talking about are their plans for their expensive spring break vacation. Meanwhile, you don’t have much, if anything, planned. However, remember that you don’t need to spend a lot of money to have a great spring break. Here are some tips to have an amazing spring break without breaking the bank!

Spend some time in San Francisco

Sometimes it’s hard to remember that San Francisco is literally a BART ride away. So, for a small cost, you can go see the sights of the city, visit interesting museums and eat good food. This is a great option especially if you haven’t explored San Francisco yet. There’s no need to buy plane tickets — with just the cost of train fare, you can spend your spring break in a cool city.

Solidify your plans now

If you already have some spring break plans in the works, you can still save some money. No matter what your plans are, having them set in stone will help you avoid any unexpected costs. In addition, most things, such as plane tickets, are cheaper when you secure them early. If you’re traveling with friends, you can be sure that costs are split evenly. Don’t forget to buy things ahead of time so that your friends can pay you back before you even go on the trip. 

Tag along with friends

Spending your spring break with friends has many benefits. Spring break is a great excuse to have fun and bond with your friends. You can also split the bill on things such as hotel rooms, which makes the vacation less expensive. While you don’t have any crazy plans set for spring break, there’s a chance that your friends already do. Ask if you can tag along! That way, you can have a great spring break with your friends without having to do all the planning yourself.

Get back into an old hobby

If you truly don’t want to spend any money, that’s totally fine. You can still have an interesting time regardless. With nothing better to do, why not jump back into that hobby you haven’t touched since the semester started. Play an instrument, make some art or do any other productive thing you used to do for fun. By doing so, you’ll have fun and have something to show people when they ask about your spring break.

Remember to relax (and don’t be ashamed about it)

Vacations aren’t meant to make you feel bad or stressed. This is a brief chance to avoid your worries, not replace them with new ones. So, if you truly want a great spring break, find a way to truly relax. Even if that means doing nothing, you shouldn’t be ashamed. In the end, you had more of a vacation than the person who micromanaged everything to maximize their fun. 

Spring break might seem like a lifetime away right now, but it may be a good idea to figure out what you’re going to do. While your friends might be spending loads of money for their weeklong vacations, you can definitely have fun without breaking the bank. 

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected] .