2 eucalyptus trees fall in North Berkeley

Google/Courtesy

Two large eucalyptus trees within half a mile of one another came crashing down in North Berkeley on Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning, destroying one truck, as first reported by Berkeleyside.

The first tree toppled Tuesday night and crashed onto the King School Park playground on Hopkins Street. The tree, which is located on city property, is being removed today, according to city spokesperson Matthai Chakko.

About 5:45 a.m. Wednesday morning, the second tree fell at the corner of Rose Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Way, crushing a truck.

The tree was removed by 7:44 a.m. Wednesday, according to Chakko, who added that the tree was on private property.

The city of Berkeley has about 35,000 to 40,000 trees on public property, and while the city assesses all of its trees, it is limited to primarily visual inspections, according to Chakko.

The King School Park tree, however, had no fungus or structural issues, so it did not show any “potential signs of failure,” Chakko said.

Both falls occurred during the storm, which included heavy rainfall and strong winds, according to an AC Alert flash flood advisory Monday.

While both trees left their marks, there were no reported injuries.

“We removed 300 trees last year, and that was consistent with what we’ve done,” Chakko said. “We’re looking at trees and removing them when we find them to be dangerous or hazardous.”

Alexandra Casey is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @acasey_dc.