ASUC appoints interim chief financial officer midsemester

Greg Reich/Courtesy

ASUC Chief Financial Officer, or CFO, Sofie Yang resigned Feb. 20 and was replaced by Greg Reich, who will act as interim CFO until the end of the spring semester.

Yang said she has held her position since fall 2018, adding that those in her position usually stay for one year. She explained that she was instated as CFO in the middle of the academic year, which she added is “anomalous.”

“It was my own decision,” Yang said. “I’d already been in the role for a year and I think it’s time for someone who has new ideas, who might have a different perspective, to come in and take over.”

Yang said she had a positive experience during her time at the ASUC, which was marked by her office’s sale of the Cal Lodge and acquisition of the scheduling aid software Berkeleytime.

Prior to being instated as CFO on Wednesday, Reich was the director of the ASUC governance department and had previously worked in the CFO office. ASUC bylaws authorize President Alexander Wilfert, Executive Vice President Hung Huynh and Chief Personnel Officer Ilene Kung to jointly appoint an interim officer until a permanent CFO is nominated and approved by the Senate for fall 2019.

Reich said that during his time as CFO, he hopes to ensure that ASUC’s revamped annual budgeting and spaces allocation process runs smoothly and foster new relations with companies to help bring benefits to campus students.

“I nominated Greg to serve as Interim CFO,” Wilfert said in an email. “Greg has proven his ability to lead the office and make informed decisions on behalf of the ASUC as a longtime member of the CFO office.”

According to Reich, he had not previously run for the CFO position, but had hoped to during his time on campus.

Reich will have the opportunity to reapply as CFO for another term during the 2019-20 academic year, a decision he said he will make closer to the end of his current term.

“I am very excited about my new appointment! I cannot wait to continue and improve upon the work that we’ve done in the past to enhance student life,” Reich said in an email.

Contact Emily Hom at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @hom_emily.