Berkeley mail carrier faces misdemeanor charges for allegedly entering resident’s house

Daniel Kim/File

Mail carrier LaMonte Earnest faces a misdemeanor charge after a Jan. 26 incident in which he allegedly unlawfully entered and remained in a residence on Sacramento Street, as first reported by Berkeleyside.

Earnest was detained at Carleton and Sacramento streets the day of the incident on suspicion of making “criminal threats” and for an outstanding warrant for animal cruelty, according to a Nixle alert released by the Berkeley Police Department on Jan. 29. The complaint declaration filed in Alameda County Superior Court on Feb. 25 claims that Earnest violated section 602.5(b) of the California penal code, which involves “unauthorized entry of residence, person present.”

The resident involved in the incident, John LeBlanc, alleged that the defendant entered his residence without permission after an altercation regarding a delivered package. LeBlanc further alleged that Earnest had thrown a package at his door, and LeBlanc, in response, asked for the defendant to refrain from throwing packages in the future. According to court documents, Earnest then reportedly “became irate and yelled at the victim,” at which point he allegedly entered the residence.

Earnest’s wife, Kate Hallinan, put forward a different version of events after her husband’s arrest. In a press release, she stated on behalf of her husband that LeBlanc “exited his house wearing no shirt or shoes and accosted Mr. Earnest screaming at him about the package.”

There is a plea hearing set for March 11, according to Alameda County District Attorney’s Office subpoena clerk Ray Casarez.

Contact Sasha Langholz at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @LangholzSasha‏.