Get baked with this Mexican-style baked sweet potato recipe

A white bowl containing beans, corn, and a sweet potato covered in sour cream, avocado, and cheese.
Vivian Roan /Staff

With midterm season reaching its peak, you may be wishing you were relaxing under the Mexican sky, (virgin!) margarita in hand, eating chips and guac without a care in the world. Sadly, while this recipe won’t bring you that, it will undoubtedly give you a temporary vacation in the midst of exams and studying. Best of all, this recipe is quick and easy! Here’s what you’ll need:

Ingredients

Serves 1

• 1 medium sweet potato
  • ½ can of black or pinto beans
  • ½ avocado
  • ½ cup of frozen corn
  • Handful of fresh cheese (Cotija or feta work great in this dish!)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Optional: a few dollops of sour cream or Greek yogurt

Directions

After washing your sweet potato, puncture it five to six times with a fork. Then, cover it with a damp paper towel and place it in the microwave. Heat the sweet potato for nine minutes or until cooked all the way through. A good indicator of this would be when you can easily slice through it with a fork. Mix your beans and frozen corn in a microwave-safe bowl, and cook in increments of two minutes until the corn kernels are heated through — four minutes should do the trick! 

Now, place your sweet potato on a plate and cut it lengthwise down the middle. Top it with your beans, corn, avocado slices and a handful of fresh cheese. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper to taste. Finish it off with a few spoonfuls of Greek yogurt for a healthy alternative for sour cream.

Bon appétit and enjoy your temporary trip to the land of cacti and margaritas.

Contact Jazmin Cubilla at [email protected].