It’s so fetch! Celebrating iconic films with majority female casts

A group of teenage girls all dressed in pink stand in a shopping mall with looks of shock and amusement as one of them speaks on the phone.
Paramount Pictures /Courtesy

When the word actress comes to mind, surely tons of big names instantly pop into your head. But, despite all of the amazing actresses out there, it comes as a complete shock that women make up roughly a third of speaking roles across 1,100 films according to statistical research by USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism. While Hollywood is anything but glamorous in light of this huge gender inequality, the battle for representation continues to be a major area for improvement.

2018 was a great year for the film industry from movies that featured entire casts of color to female leads. In fact, 2018 had more female leads than ever before with a total of 40 actresses across 1,200 films. That’s nearly double the amount it was a decade ago, but the fight for representation doesn’t end here. While this is an improvement, a lot more needs to be done to bridge the gender gap across speaking roles in the industry. In light of International Women’s Day, we at the Clog want to take you on a trip down memory lane and celebrate all of the iconic films with a majority female cast, proving that women deserve an equal place with men on the big screen.

Who could forget films like “Mean Girls,” “Clueless” and “Bring it On,” which are basically an unofficial teen rite of passage. Without “Mean Girls,” what would we even wear on Wednesdays? And would plaid still be chic if Cher hadn’t rocked it first in “Clueless?” Although these movies are a blast to the turn of the century, they’ve left a huge impact on today’s pop culture from style trends to music videos, like Iggy Azalea’s “Fancy” and Ariana Grande’s “thank u, next.”

And we can’t possibly leave out all of the films that celebrate artistic passions from ballet in “Black Swan” to music in “Dreamgirls.” More often than not, however, we see how this intense drive culminates into one big, unavoidable conflict, making for an intense plot line that we’ll vividly remember even after we leave the theater. Let’s not forget the art of fashion in “The Devil Wears Prada” because we all know Miranda Priestly, editor in chief of the top fashion magazine, would most certainly be upset.

Lastly, who doesn’t love a good coming-of-age story? While a decent portion of this genre is filled with male protagonists, “Lady Bird” is the perfect example of a girl battling the realistic challenges of her teen years. Similarly, comedy has been a path mostly ventured by men, but “Bridesmaids” shows that being funny isn’t limited to one gender.

Thanks to these films, we’ve had tons of laughter, joy and entertainment brought into our lives. As we remember some of these memorable films this International Women’s Day, we hope that there’ll be many more to add to the list in the future.

Contact Erika Lee at [email protected] .