BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 26, 2022

UC Berkeley sophomore Dhruv Ahuja files independent candidacy for ASUC Senate

STEPHANIE LI | STAFF

MARCH 12, 2019

Campus sophomore Dhruv Ahuja filed his intent Thursday to run independently for senate for the 2019 ASUC elections.

If elected, Ahuja aims to work on behalf of the international campus student community to bridge the gap between different nationalities. He hopes to provide legal resources, alumni connections and more housing opportunities for international students.

As a member of Berkeley Model United Nations and the International Relations Council of Berkeley, Ahuja has been able to interact with people of different nationalities and campus organization affiliations, whose needs he has tailored his platforms to meet.

Ahuja said he decided to run independently because he didn’t want to be “consumed” by a party’s agenda, as he has seen happen to other elected international students who have been endorsed by political parties.

“I don’t stand for a certain party,” Ahuja said. “I stand for the advancement of the community of Berkeley at large.”

Ahuja’s first platform focuses on implementing legal services for international students by collaborating with the Berkeley International Office. According to Ahuja, international students often do not have anyone to go to for advice on U.S. law nor do they have anyone to represent them in court.

His second platform aims at creating an international alumni database to aid international students in finding jobs. The database would allow these students to solicit advice from alumni who have experienced the challenges of trying to obtain jobs as international students.

If elected, Ahuja aims to provide more international student housing by collaborating with the Berkeley Student Cooperative. According to Ahuja, the International House, which has traditionally housed the international community, is not large enough to accommodate the current 5,000 international students at UC Berkeley.

“(The) university has funding — it has the resources,” Ahuja said. “We just have to tap into them.”

Voting for the ASUC elections will be held April 8, 9 and 10.

Contact Julie Madsen at 

MARCH 12, 2019