BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Berkeley laptop thefts continue with 4 laptops stolen over 4 days

GOOGLE | COURTESY

MARCH 18, 2019

Berkeley Police Department reported four laptop thefts between March 11 and March 14, according to a Nixle alert sent Monday.

On March 11 at 10:15 p.m., a man was waiting at a bus stop on the 2800 block of Sacramento Street when passengers in a nearby vehicle stopped to ask for directions. The man proceeded to walk over to the car and left his backpack at the bus stop. After a few minutes, the man returned to the bus stop and saw that his backpack, which contained his laptop, was gone.

About 4:30 p.m. on March 13, a 22-year-old woman was seated with her laptop at one of the tables at the Downtown BART plaza, according to the alert.  While she was sitting, a suspect ran up from behind the woman and grabbed her laptop. Witnesses described the suspect as a Latinx male who wore a gray-colored hooded sweatshirt and dark-colored jeans.

Five hours later the same day, a 22-year-old man left his backpack and laptop in the patio area of La Mission restaurant.  When the man returned 30 minutes later, the backpack was gone, according to the alert.

On March 14, a woman sat outside Rasa Caffe and typed on her laptop. A suspect ran up to the woman and grabbed her laptop about 2:50 p.m.  The suspect then ran to a nearby vehicle and drove away. Witnesses described the suspect as a 30- to 35-year-old Black male, 5 feet, 8 inches tall, with short, black hair. The suspect wore a dark-colored jacket, according to the alert.

Check back for updates.

Contact Alexandra Casey at 

MARCH 18, 2019