Berkeley police make arrest after receiving reports of a suspect smashing windows

Google/Courtesy

Berkeley Police Department arrested a suspect Friday evening after receiving reports of a suspect smashing windows in South Berkeley, according to a Nixle alert released Monday afternoon.

Officers responded to the area of Milvia and Parker streets about 9 p.m. Friday after receiving multiple calls about the suspect. Based on the description callers gave, authorities “quickly located” the suspect in Civic Center Park and detained him without incident, the alert said. Officers then searched the suspect and found a hammer, as well as a glass pipe, which is commonly used to smoke methamphetamine, according to the alert.

Officers determined during the investigation that the suspect had allegedly broken the window of a residence on the 2600 block of Milvia Street, as well as the window of a car parked on the 1900 block of Blake Street. No prosecution, however, was requested for the second incident, the alert said.

BPD arrested the suspect, a 37-year-old man, on suspicion of vandalism, violation of probation and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Chantelle Lee is the managing editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.