Berkeley police report 2 Elmwood neighborhood robberies within 2 days

Google/Courtesy

Two robberies occurred in the Elmwood neighborhood Friday and Saturday, according to a Nixle alert sent by the Berkeley Police Department on Monday.

On Friday about 3:30 p.m., a black sedan stopped in the road next to a 15-year-old boy walking in the Woolsey Street and College Avenue area, according to the alert. Three suspects got out of the sedan and demanded the boy’s property. According to the alert, the suspects reached into the boy’s pockets, took his cellphone and drove away.

In the alert, one suspect was described as a 5-foot-10-inch Black male between the ages of 17 and 20 years old. The suspect wore a gray jumpsuit, had short black hair and had a thin to medium build. The second suspect was similar in description but with darker skin and black jeans. The third suspect was Black and had a medium build.

On Saturday at 3:27 a.m., a 21-year-old woman was walking on the 2800 block of Benvenue Avenue when a white sedan drove up and abruptly stopped by her. According to the alert, three suspects got out of the sedan and knocked the woman to the ground. The suspects repeatedly punched her to try to take her purse.

According to the alert, the suspects ran back to their sedan and drove off when another vehicle drove down the street. They were not able to take the woman’s purse, but they were able to take her cellphone from inside. The alert said witnesses described one of the suspects as a man of unknown race wearing a white sweater and dark-colored jeans.

Sabrina Dong is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @Sabrina_Dong_.