BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

UC Berkeley sophomore Emma Shearin announces independent candidacy for ASUC Senate

AMANDA RAMIREZ | SENIOR STAFF

MARCH 19, 2019

UC Berkeley sophomore Emma Shearin announced her independent senate candidacy Friday for the 2019 ASUC elections, running to advocate for the engineering community and project organizations.

Shearin, who is studying applied mathematics, said she decided to run for ASUC Senate because she sensed a need for more voices to represent the campus engineering community.

“I wanted to contribute a voice that would be specifically focused on engineering students and organizations and other organizations that offer real-world project experience,” Shearin said. “I feel like those organizations and the opportunity they provide really give an extension of Berkeley’s experience that prepares students for the real world.”

Shearin, the current secretary for CalSol, the UC Berkeley solar vehicle team, said her work with CalSol and her experience working with other teams led her to create a platform to support campus project organizations.

CalSol Program Director Seth Frank said in an email that Shearin is a “dedicated and valuable member” who works on the business side of the car’s development with a focus on outreach, sponsorship and logistics.

“Emma was elected to an officer position very shortly after joining the team, which speaks volumes to the respect she has earned,” Frank said in an email.

Shearin said she wants to work with campus communities that need support, adding that she also wants to support the professional development of campus students.

Part of Shearin’s dedication to supporting professional development for students includes “imparting real-world skills” to improve students’ access to the current job market, especially across communities that do not often receive these opportunities.

Though it is still early in the elections season, Shearin said everyone she has spoken to has seemed “very supportive” of her campaign so far.

Voting for the ASUC elections will be held April 8, 9 and 10.

Contact Marlena Tavernier-Fine at 

MARCH 19, 2019