Cal Dining unveils meal plans beginning fall 2019

Sunny Shen/Staff

In response to student feedback, Cal Dining has unveiled new meal plans open to undergraduate and graduate students beginning fall 2019.

In previous years, campus students had a choice between two meal plans. Beginning next year, however, students will have a choice between three different meal plans, all of which include an increased number of flex dollars. Students’ financial aid will also support these meal plans, according to campus spokesperson Adam Ratliff.

“We added new meal plans for Fall 2019 based on the feedback we were receiving from students,” Ratliff said in an email. “They wanted more flexibility in how and when they eat, and our hope is that they will appreciate having more options.”

Students living on campus will now be able to choose between three meal options — the Blue Plan, the Gold Plan and the Ultimate Plan.

The Blue Plan, which is included with student housing, will include 12 meal swipes per week and 600 flex dollars. The Gold Plan will offer students 10 meal swipes per week and 1,000 flex dollars per year, while the Unlimited Plan will provide unlimited swipes and 1,000 flex dollars.

Undergraduate and graduate students living off campus will also have more meal plans to choose from in the upcoming academic year — the 1400 Plan, the 1900 plan and the 2700 plan.

The 1400 Plan, which will cost $1,400 per year, includes approximately five meals per week and 1,400 flex dollars. The 1900 Plan, which costs $1,800, offers students seven meals per week and 1,900 flex dollars.

The most extensive plan, the 2700 Plan, costs $2,500 per year and includes about 10 meals per week and 2,700 flex dollars.

“We are committed to keeping costs like food and housing as low as possible, as part of the broader campus objective of keeping the cost of a Berkeley education affordable,” Ratliff said in an email. “The University has many options overall available to help students finance the full Cost of Attendance.”

Students who are food insecure or in need of further financial assistance are encouraged to reach out to the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office and the UC Berkeley Food Pantry, according to Ratliff.

The campus also offers students who are food insecure with services such as financial aid, counseling, financial literacy workshops and the Food Assistance Program.

“The well-being of our students is important,” Ratliff said in an email. “We want to make sure students know there are resources available year-round.”

Cal Dining will continue to provide late-night and continuous service at Crossroads between 2 and 5 p.m.

Contact Mallika Seshadri at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SeshadriMallika.