This weekend, The Daily Californian snatched the title of best all-around newspaper in the Society of Professional Journalists’ regional Mark of Excellence Awards — for the third year running.
The SPJ’s Region 11 Mark of Excellence Awards recognize “the best collegiate journalism” in Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, Nevada and the Northern Mariana Islands, according to a press release. We at the Daily Cal are grateful to our readers for both their support and their criticism as we constantly seek to improve.
Here’s a full list of the awards Daily Cal staff won:
- Best all-around daily student newspaper: The Daily Californian
- Sports writing: Spirit, life and laughter — Mima Mirkovic is Cal volleyball’s own comedian by Surina Khurana
- General column writing: 10 in 10, The politics of sex and image in ASUC elections and Boycott fraternities by Rizza Estacio
- General news reporting: Shedding light on undocumented UC Berkeley student’s detention by Border Patrol, ICE in San Diego by news staff
- In-depth reporting: UC Berkeley Graduate Assembly considers leaving ASUC after half century of tension by Hannah Piette
- Editorial writing: ‘Extra, extra’: Bay Area newspapers are suffering and need residents’ help; The Greek system continues to fail survivors of sexual violence; and The great equalizer: Can BART live up to its mission? by Chantelle Lee