Cal men’s basketball hires Trent Johnson as assistant coach

Cal men’s basketball’s new head coach Mark Fox will have an old friend by his side as he embarks on rebuilding the program, bringing Trent Johnson on as an assistant coach for the upcoming season.

Fox and Johnson are plenty familiar with one another. At Nevada, Fox worked as an assistant under Johnson from 2000 to 2004 before taking over as head coach. The two also worked together at Washington as assistants for one season.

Johnson, 62, did not coach last season, but he brings more than three decades of experience, having spent 17 seasons as a head coach and 14 as an assistant.

While Johnson has never coached at Cal, he’s plenty familiar with the program. Not only was Johnson born in Berkeley, but he coached at Stanford for almost a decade, first spending three seasons as an assistant from 1996 to 1999, then four years as head coach from 2004 to 2008.

As head coach at Stanford, Johnson led the Cardinal to a 80-48 record, three trips to the NCAA Tournament and a Sweet 16 appearance in 2008. Johnson also recruited one of the best classes in program history, featuring Brook and Robin Lopez and Landry Fields, all of whom made it to the league.

Along with Stanford, Johnson was a head coach at Nevada, LSU and TCU but didn’t have the same level of success. Between the three programs, Johnson compiled a cumulative record of 196-217 with two NCAA Tournament appearances over 13 seasons.

Before becoming a head coach, Johnson was an assistant coach at Louisville for one season, Utah, Washington and Stanford for three seasons apiece and Rice for four seasons.

Justice delos Santos covers baseball. Contact Justice delos Santos at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @justdelossantos.