Let it rain! Touristy things to do on a rainy day in San Francisco

Golden Gate Bridge and foggy skies
Kelly Fong/File

Spring break! Finally, the perfect time to explore San Francisco. I was filled with ideas of walking down Fisherman’s Wharf and grabbing a scoop of ice cream at Ghirardelli Square. To my misfortune, however, all hopes of having a fun day in the city sun were drowned when I woke up that morning to a grey sky and wet roads. Determined, I set out to explore, making a new plan on my journey there. From the Aquarium of the Bay to SFMOMA, here’s what I did on a rainy day in SF.

Ghirardelli’s hot chocolate and the Aquarium of the Bay

Sticking with my initial plan, we started off the day in Fisherman’s Wharf, stopping at the massive Ghirardelli store for hot beverages to warm us back up after the cold journey there. Armed with my hot chocolate, I walked down to the Aquarium of the Bay at the edge of Pier 39 with my friends. Thanks to the miserable weather, the place was pretty empty, letting me admire the aquatic life and walk through the tunnels for a while. While the idea of being directly under these creatures that could swallow me whole was terrifying at first, it was incredibly cool after getting over the initial shock. The aquarium is renowned to hold more than 20,000 local marine animals, making it a sight to behold.

Chinatown & SFMOMA

After the aquarium, we headed over to Chinatown to grab lunch, filling myself with dim sum (and Boba Guys, of course). Though the streets were empty because of the weather, it didn’t seem to matter for us as we argued over who got the last dumpling or piece of tofu. Sitting around a table with my friends, it didn’t matter anymore that it was pouring down outside and that we couldn’t walk outside without shivering from the cold.

Popping by Union Square on the way to the MOMA, my friends and I window-shopped in the giant mall, checking out the displays and perusing the stores. Finally reaching the MOMA, we spent the rest of the day admiring the art there, wandering around until our legs collapsed under us.

Overall, the rain didn’t hinder our day, and there’s so much more to SF than what my friends and I found during spring break. From the California Academy of Sciences (if you’re into that sort of thing) to the Exploratorium, there’s so much more of San Francisco to explore. We at the Clog hope that you pop by some of these places yourself, and let us know if there’s something we missed!

Contact Chandini Dialani at [email protected].