Maureen Simmons for executive vice president

The Daily Californian’s editorial board has long questioned the purpose of the executive vice president, or EVP, role in the ASUC. But when Maureen Simmons began her campaign for the position with CalSERVE, she breathed life into the role in a way that past EVPs have continuously failed to do.

To be frank, Simmons is overqualified for the role. She has more than 20 years of experience in human resources, and she’s a licensed real estate agent and certified mediator — all of which will allow her to take the EVP role by storm. Simmons has only been a student on campus for two semesters, but she’s already proven her commitment to the campus community — she was the director of police reform in ASUC Senator Amir Wright’s office, and she’s reactivated and become the adviser of the Youth & College Division of the NAACP.

Her opponent, on the other hand, has very little to offer. Andy Theocharous, who is running with Student Action, seems to barely grasp what the EVP office has purview over, short of running ASUC Senate meetings and sitting on the ASUC Student Union board. In his interview with the editorial board, he was unable to point to concrete ideas for ensuring equitable space allocation among ASUC-sponsored organizations, a key responsibility of the EVP.

In an interview with the Daily Cal editorial board, Simmons pledged to bring much-needed business-driven and strategy-motivated visions to the role of EVP. With her connections as a real estate agent, Simmons has the potential to concretely increase the ASUC’s space allocation. Additionally, her abilities to mediate conflict and passionately advocate for students’ welfare would make her a much-needed voice of reason on the senate floor.

“At the end of the day, as your EVP, I’m here to serve the needs of the students,” Simmons said at the annual ASUC elections forum. “I’m not afraid to mediate when necessary. I’m not afraid to negotiate when necessary.”

Simmons will give this campus exactly what it needs, and the student body deserves someone with the knowledge of the socially conscious business strategy necessary to reinvigorate the role of EVP.

Vote Maureen Simmons for executive vice president.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of the Editorial Board as written by the opinion editor.