Best Cal Day events to boost your school spirit and explore campus

Map of Berkeley campus with locations of Cal Day events
Jenn Zeng/Senior Staff

Cal Day is upon us, so mark your calendars for an exciting 24 hours filled with school spirit, lectures and other special events. When you step onto campus, it’s easy to find the revelry and sheer scale of Cal Day events overwhelming, so here are some of our top picks for fun things to do around UC Berkeley this Saturday.

Stop 1: Free admission to BAMPFA (2155 Center Street)

From 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. this Cal Day, one of the campus’s best resources will be free to the public — the Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive. Although UC Berkeley students get automatic free admission with a Cal ID, this could be a great chance to show off this resource to visiting friends and family, or to check out the museum’s current exhibits. Current exhibitions include Hans Hofmann: The Nature of Abstraction and Masako Miki’s MATRIX 273, as well as a number of other curated works on display. Also, if you’re in the mood after perusing the art, check out one of BAMPFA’s many film screenings, although these do cost an extra ticket fee. This Saturday, it will be showing “Raise Hell: The Life & Times of Molly Ivins,” “The Grand Bizarre,” “Lapü” and “In My Room.” For a family-friendly event, there will be a 3 p.m. reading of “Charlotte’s Web” in both English and Spanish.

Stop 2: “Meet the Dinosaurs” event (2101 Valley Life Sciences Building)

Head north on campus to the Valley Life Sciences Building for a change in pace with “Meet the Dinosaurs,” which will be happening from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Come face-to-face with life-size Tyrannosaurus Rex and Pterodactyl skeletons and explore the other offerings of the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology upstairs, which will be holding its annual open house from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. You can also read dinosaur books and collect a special coloring book from the Bioscience, Natural Resources & Public Health Library.

Stop 3: Doe Library $1 Book Sale (180 Doe Library)

A little farther up the hill and you’ll find one of Cal Day’s greatest deals — the Doe Library’s once-a-year $1 book sale. The library will be offering thousands of hardcover and softcover titles for sale, so stock up on some singles and find some titles to add to your collections. The sale will be happening from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., but swing by early in order to scoop some of the most intriguing options.

Stop 4: Women in Mathematics information table (1015 Evans Hall)

This Cal Day, Women in Mathematics, or WIM, will be hosting an informational table in the infamous Evans Hall from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Don’t let the dour building deter you, however — WIM aims to provide resources for underrepresented students in the math community. If you’re a prospective student, this could be a great chance to familiarize yourself with the department and get a sense of what it’s like to be a student at Cal. Similarly, if you’re a current student, this could be a great chance to get to know more about resources available to you — also keep in mind that other departments will be hosting similar informational events throughout the day, so keep your eyes open for a major or department that’s of interest.

Stop 5: “‘Game of Thrones’ and the Art of Language Invention” lecture (Stephens Lounge, Martin Luther King Jr. Student Union)

For a final, cinematic end to your Cal Day, check out this in-demand lecture from UC Berkeley English and linguistics alumnus David Peterson, who created the Dothraki and Valyrian languages for the “Game of Thrones” TV series. Perfectly coordinated to prepare for the Sunday premiere of “Game of Thrones” season 9, learn more about Peterson’s work to develop these languages as well as his practice of “conlanging” — a concept he founded that involves the creation of constructed languages. This event will be taking place from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.

Camryn Bell is the special issues editor. Contact her at [email protected] .