City of Berkeley offers $50K reward for information regarding unsolved South Berkeley murder

Daniel Kim/File

The city of Berkeley is offering a $50,000 reward for information that could lead to the arrest of suspects involved in the unsolved 2016 murder of Alex Goodwin Jr., according to a Nixle alert released by Berkeley Police Department on Monday afternoon.

Goodwin Jr., a Berkeley musician, was shot in the San Pablo Park neighborhood in August 2016. Berkeley Police responded to multiple reports of gunshots in the area of Mabel Street and Burnett Street on the night of August 18, 2016. Upon arriving at the scene, they found Goodwin Jr. — who was 22 at the time — unresponsive. The victim was later pronounced dead at the Alameda County Hospital after being transported from the scene by BPD.

Previously, the city offered a $15,000 reward for information relating to the case. The increase in the reward amount comes after a recent decision from the Berkeley City Council to increase the maximum reward amount for unsolved cases from $15,000 to $50,000 in response to testimony from the family members of multiple homicide victims, including the family of Goodwin Jr.

“The money would help. I know that some people might not understand why, and (reporting information) should just be out of the kindness of your heart — you’re a Berkeley resident, just help the police out,” said Kameka Goodwin, Goodwin Jr.’s mother, at the City Council meeting. “The streets doesn’t really work like that, the streets where we live.”

The new measure was designed to incentivize new leads on cases that have remained unsolved for years.

“Detectives believe there are individuals with information about this case and are asking for their help,” the alert said. “Even the smallest detail could be critical in solving this crime.”

Anyone with information regarding this crime is asked to call the BPD Homicide Unit at (510) 981-5741 or BPD’s 24-hour nonemergency number at (510) 981-5900.

Amber Tang is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ambertang_dc.