How to procrastinate (if reading this isn’t enough)

An illustration of multicolored textbooks of subjects such as Philosophy, "How to Procratinate", and Chemistry.
Rachel Feder /File

With the semester coming to an end, it seems like every class is piling on work, which can be overwhelming. You can, however, always put the work off for another day. It’ll be nice to relax, at least for the moment. So sit back and find your favorite way to pass the time. If you can’t think of anything, here are some ways you could procrastinate.

Read a book (for fun)

Sometimes classes give enough reading to make anyone not want to see a written word again. It can, however, be a nice reminder that reading can actually be fun. Reading for yourself is a nice way to relax and be entertained. Also if you finish the book, you can say you accomplished something — just not for school.

Enjoy the outdoors

Sunny days can be incredibly nice. So, why should you spend a sunny day inside doing your mountain of schoolwork? Instead, go out there on the lawn and just lounge in the sun. If you’re feeling up for it, you could even take a walk or hike and get that blood pumping. The sunshine should hopefully make you feel happier, which is a pretty good outcome of procrastinating.

Browse through more Daily Cal pieces

There’s a chance you would rather just waste time browsing through the internet. Instead of going through the social media feed you’ve seen a million times before, why not browse new and old Daily Cal articles? It can be a great internet rabbit hole if that’s how you like to procrastinate. There are tons of great pieces — plus you’re already on the site! 

Hang out with friends

You didn’t just make friends at UC Berkeley to have some people to study with. These are also the people you want to spend time with. So, why not leave an academic setting and just have fun with your friends? It can be a nice way to recharge and a good reminder that school isn’t everything there is.

Watch Netflix

Be honest, you were probably going to go with this option. It’s an internet rabbit hole that is so low energy, you don’t even have to look at the screen. Just choose a show that will help you relax and relieve a little stress. You could also choose something new if you’re feeling adventurous, but don’t feel bad if you don’t.

Hopefully, these tips will help make that project seem a little further away. Just remember, you’ll eventually have to get your work done, so don’t put it off for too long. Until then, take some breaks by procrastinating a little — it can make life at school a little better.

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected].