Spring has sprung! A healthy, seasonal salad recipe

A salad recipe with ingredients and steps listed
Jenn Zeng/Senior Staff

Eating healthy can be difficult, especially when everything from midterms to projects is piling up. More often than not, this stress and lack of free time lead to unhealthy eating habits. (Chipotle, anyone?) This can lead to people feeling sluggish and not performing at their very best. Luckily, this salad recipe calls for only a few simple and clean ingredients and will make you feel like spring has truly arrived!

The best thing about this salad is that it’s incredibly customizable: You could substitute the strawberries for apples, cabbage or blueberries or add tofu or tempeh instead of chicken to make the salad vegan. If you’re coming from a workout and need some extra carbs, add chickpeas, quinoa or diced sweet potato.

Ingredients: 

2 cups of organic spring mix

½ cup of diced (cooked) chicken

½ cup of sliced strawberries

½ of an avocado

A handful of walnuts

2 tablespoons of olive oil

1 tablespoon of vinegar

2 teaspoons of mustard

Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions: 

Place your spring mix, chicken and strawberries in a large bowl and give them a quick toss, ensuring the ingredients mix well together. In a separate container, whisk your olive oil, vinegar and mustard together until the ingredients have emulsified and formed a thick vinaigrette. Add salt and pepper (to taste) and pour the vinaigrette onto your salad. Mix until well combined and garnish the salad with sliced avocado and walnuts. Enjoy!

If you ever find yourself feeling bored of dining hall meals and constantly eating out, remember to try out this quick and easy recipe for a springtime salad — perfect for taking advantage of all the fresh produce the warmer weather is bringing forward!

Contact Jazmin Cubilla at [email protected].