Former Cal men’s basketball guard to transfer to SMU

Basketball player runs across the court with a ball in his hands.
Lorenzo Dela Cruz /File

Former Cal men’s basketball guard Darius McNeill will be heading back to his home state of Texas, announcing on Twitter that he will transfer to Southern Methodist University.

“At this time, I’ve decided to transfer from Cal,” McNeill wrote. “I will be coming home to be closer to my mom and my family, which is the most important decision for me.”

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

In his two seasons at UC Berkeley, McNeill was one of the Bears’ key role players, averaging 11.4 points, 2.2 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.3 steals.

McNeill established himself as one of the conference’s most prominent marksmen, shooting 35.6 percent from three. His 132 made 3-pointers over the last two seasons are the sixth most in the conference during that stretch.

The guard etched his name into Cal’s record books in his first year, setting the program record for most 3-pointers in a season by a freshman with 67, breaking Allen Crabbe’s record of 63.

Of the five Cal players who entered the transfer portal since season’s end — McNeill, Justice Sueing, Connor Vanover, Juhwan Harris-Dyson and Roman Davis — McNeill is the first to select another program.

While McNeill has chosen to transfer, Sueing, Vanover, Harris-Dyson and Davis all can return to Cal if they desire, as they are only in the transfer portal.

Because of NCAA transfer regulations, McNeill will have to sit out next season and will not be eligible to play until the 2020-21 season.

Justice delos Santos covers baseball. Contact Justice delos Santos at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @justdelossantos.