Editors’ Note: April 20

weekender logo
Hannah Cooper/Senior Staff

As we approach the end of the spring semester and the beginning of warmer weather, Weekender meetings, now regularly held in the outdoor courtyard, have turned into games of musical chairs as everyone scrambles for the last patches of shade. Perhaps it was the welcoming sunshine that inspired our writers to traverse in so many different, but equally unique, creative directions for this week’s issue.

In anticipation for the bound-to-be equal parts exciting and heartbreaking “Avengers: Endgame,” staff writer Alec Newcomb discusses the merits of precursor “Avengers: Infinity War” and why audiences react so positively to seeing their superheroes fail.

Also receiving international attention this week, albeit of a much more damning sort, is the Burning Sun nightclub scandal in South Korea. Staff writers Kris Shin and Sophie Kim analyze how the scandal reveals the extent of misogynistic viewpoints common within Korean society.

Moving into the more local, staff writer Sarena Kuhn attended the 52nd annual Northern California Cherry Blossom Festival in San Francisco, profiling the ambiance of the event. Staff writer Alejandra Dechet, inspired by the surfeit of typewriters, vinyl and film rolls seen throughout Berkeley, writes on her own relationship with her typewriter and the difficulty of writing and rewriting.

Staff writer Mellissa Del Barrio interviewed Elyakim Kislev, the author of “Happy Singlehood: The Rising Acceptance and Celebration of Solo Living,” and got his take on the rising awareness and occurrence of choosing to stay single.

Breaching the sentimental, staff writer Grace Vogel talks about what it feels like to lose your childhood home in a lighthearted — but nostalgic — poem. In a similar vein, staff writer Olivia Staser writes a sensory-driven poem inspired by the sweet peas that grow in the backyard of her family’s home.

And in the style of Shel Silverstein’s famous poem “Where the Sidewalk Ends,” staff writer Ashley Soliman prophesies what will happen because of humans destroying the environment. Staff writer Benson Yi writes a watery short story about fish, aquariums and lost aspirations.

Contact the Weekender at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter at @dcweekender.