How to talk about ‘Game of Thrones’ if you don’t know the difference between the Targaryens and Tyrells

HBO/Courtesy

With the new season of “Game of Thrones” currently airing, chances are at least some of your friends are talking about it. But, unfortunately for you, these conversations can be very confusing if you haven’t seen the show. With all the different people and events, it can be hard to keep track of everything that’s going on. If you ask a question, however, you might end up even more confused as your friend explains a complicated family tree. Here’s how to get through a conversation about “Game of Thrones” if you don’t know the difference between the Targaryens and Tyrells.

“I just started and don’t want any spoilers.”

All “Game of Thrones” fans can empathize with this. There are lots of twists and turns in the series. For most fans of the show, fans of the book could spoil these key plot moments. For some fans, they know the sting of having a moment spoiled for them. Whatever their reasons, your friends will probably respect your request and will change the subject of the conversation. They might ask you how far you’ve gotten, but at least they won’t talk about “Game of Thrones” around you for the time being.

“I heard the soundtrack is good.”

If you want to add to the conversation but don’t want to watch the show, talking about the soundtrack is a good bet. Your friends will probably react in one of two ways. Either they’ll say they don’t really know much about it and you can segue to another topic or they’ll say they enjoy it. No matter what, the conversation will be a little easier to follow and you might be able to participate.

Just sit quietly

Being quiet is a good option if you don’t want any part of the conversation. Your friends will ignore you and discuss among themselves. This option might be a little boring or lonely but it’ll be alright. Eventually your friends will change topics and you can join in the conversation again.

Keep the discussion to one character

There’s a chance you actually do want to learn about “Game of Thrones.” If that’s the case, try to get your friends to explain just one character and what their connections to other people in the show are. The show has a massive cast with many different relationships — if you aren’t careful, you can get lost easily. Use one character, like Jon Snow, as a guideline through the story and you shouldn’t get too lost.

“I’m too busy to watch.”

If your friends decide to ask you about the show, you can always reply that you’re just too busy. This school has a culture that seems to give merit to those who are working all of the time — use that to your advantage. Your friends won’t argue with that, especially if you say trying to learn about the show would just be a waste of time.

Hopefully these ideas will help you navigate any conversation about “Game of Thrones.” Even though it’s a long show, it might be worth a watch. All the backstabbing and squalid conditions in its world could be a nice escape from finals and research papers. Ultimately, that choice is up to you.

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected] .