Fun, easy, healthy Mediterranean plate recipe!

Pariswi Tewari/Staff

Looking for a quick, healthy and delicious recipe to satisfy your Mediterranean food cravings? Look no further! This versatile recipe tastes great and helps you check off some of your daily nutritional requirements, too!

Ingredients

For the salad:

1-2 cups lettuce/spinach (chopped)

1/2 medium raw tomato (diced)

1/4 medium raw onion (Finely chopped)

5-7 Kalamata olives (halved)

A handful of feta cheese (optional)

For the carbs:

1-2 cups rice, quinoa or couscous

2 cups broth (vegetable or chicken/pork/beef)

A pinch of salt

Garlic to taste

Parsley/Italian seasoning to taste

1 teaspoon turmeric

A handful of chopped almond slivers or pine nuts (optional)

For the protein:

3-4 falafels* or choice of protein

Extras (optional)

Pita bread, sour cream, tahini dressing, hot sauce, hummus, olive oil, paprika

Instructions

Combine your broth and choice of carb (quinoa, rice, couscous, etc.) in a pot and let boil. Add water as needed. The broth enriches the flavor of your rice and will make it taste delicious! When your quinoa/rice/couscous is cooked, remove the pot from heat and add salt, garlic, seasoning and turmeric. Mix gently and set aside. Sprinkle slivered almonds on top.

Chop up your ingredients for the salad and combine. Add to your final plate when done and top with the Kalamata olives and crumbled feta cheese.

*Our go-to for protein is Trader Joe’s frozen falafels! They taste great and are very convenient to make. Simply defrost in the microwave and pop in the oven on high heat for four to five minutes for crispy and delicious falafels. You can also experiment with other protein sources such as tofu, grilled chicken or pork.

The best part about this recipe is its versatility — you can completely customize this plate to your taste. We love adding a spoon of hummus on the side of our plate for the perfect savory touch.

You’re done! Combine all of your plate’s components onto a single platter and enjoy! We love the vibrant colors on this plate and the ease of making such a delicious, healthy meal. This recipe can be completed in under 30 minutes.

Contact Pariswi Tewari at [email protected].