6 revealing signs you might be in denial about graduation

Jessica Doojphibulpol/File

We at the Clog can hardly believe a mere few weeks stand between us and the start of summer. For all the senior Bears out there, it might be hard to wrap your head around the fact that your time at the No. 1 public university in the world is coming to an end. Here are some signs that you might be in denial about graduation.

Not buying your cap and gown

Maybe it’s because these items are ridiculously overpriced for polyester and cardboard, or maybe you’ve put off buying these items because you’re in denial that you’ll need them to strut into Memorial Stadium to the tune of “Pomp and Circumstance” in a few short weeks.

Worrying you missed your Phase I

Can’t stop thinking about fall 2019 classes? This may come as a shock, but you’ll never have to deal with the crippling fear of logging onto CalCentral 10 minutes after your Phase I has started and seeing all the good sections already closed again.

Applying for internships, not jobs

“Summer vacation” is not really a thing in the real world, and there will be no “Welcome Week” waiting for you at the end of August. The work grind you start after graduation won’t end when the summer does.

Zoning out whenever your friends talk about moving back home

Wait, what do you mean my best friends and I won’t all live a block away from each other forever? Tuning out when your besties talk about moving far away from you is definitely a sign that you might not be coming to terms with post-graduation reality.

Talking about how excited you are for game days in the fall

News flash: after graduation, it’s no longer socially acceptable to put on a tube top and go to frats for daygers that begin at 6 a.m. The good news is that UC Berkeley alumni still definitely know how to throw down on game days with boozy tailgates and watch parties.

Putting off graduation photos

You’ve probably been saying to yourself there will be lots of time to do them later. If you wait too long, all of the photographers on campus will be all booked up and you’ll find yourself without a cute grad-cap-toss pic to put as your profile picture.

If you or a loved one are exhibiting any of these symptoms, it might be time for you to visit an adviser to make sure all of your affairs are in order before commencement rolls around.

Contact Hannah Nguyen at [email protected].