BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 02, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

UCPD considers suspect in connection with People’s Park shooting

DANIEL KIM | FILE

Oakland Police Department started an investigation on alleged anti-Asian hate crimes through social media. After confirming the existence of these posts, the police were able to identify the suspect as a Berkeley man.

|

Managing Editor

APRIL 27, 2019

UCPD is working with the Oakland Police Department and the San Francisco Police Department to identify a potential suspect in connection with the homicide that occurred in People’s Park on Friday.

According to a Nixle alert released Saturday afternoon, UCPD investigators are in communication with detectives from the Oakland Police Department and the San Francisco Police Department regarding a homicide suspect who was arrested in Nevada on Friday after the Berkeley shooting. UCPD is considering him a suspect in the People’s Park homicide case.

The homicide occurred about 2:40 p.m. Friday when the suspect drove up to the park in a car, walked over to the victim and shot him in the head. The suspect then got back into his car and drove off.

Berkeley Fire Department arrived on the scene soon after to transport the victim for medical treatment, but the victim later died from a gunshot wound. UCPD said in a Nixle alert that the initial investigation indicated that the shooting “was not a random act.”

Anyone with additional information about the incident is asked to contact UCPD, OPD or SFPD.

Chantelle Lee is the managing editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.

APRIL 28, 2019