Picks of the Week: Singles and superheroes to finish off April

Taylor Swift Productions/Courtesy

Happy Monday, Berkeley!

This week has been a big one for new music! Start your week off by checking out the new singles from Taylor Swift, Kim Petras and FKA Twigs. Rico Nasty also released her new album Anger Management this week. “Relative” and “Big Titties” are some of my favorites from the new album. For some other big news in the rap world, ScHoolboy Q released his new album CrasH Talk this week with songs featuring artists such as Travis Scott and 21 Savage.

BROCKHAMPTON front man Kevin Abstract also released a new solo album entitled Arizona Baby last week. As part of the release he livestreamed himself walking on a treadmill outside of his childhood home in Corpus Christi, Texas for 10 hours. I have a lot of thoughts about this as abstract performance art, but for now I’ll just say it was shot with very nice camera equipment.

On Tuesday go check out the long-awaited conclusion to the Avengers saga with “Avengers: Endgame,” which is playing at United Artists 7 on Shattuck. It is sure to be packed so to guarantee you get a seat, try going to the first showing or last showing and consider buying tickets online. With the movie being just over three hours, before you go, make sure you check out this article on when the best times to go to the bathroom are.

On Wednesday, go check out Wild Belle who will be playing at The Independent. This Chicago born rock-reggae duo are the brother and sister behind the 2013 indie hit “Keep You.” This week Netflix’s newest sketch comedy “I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson” came out. For a quick watch, check out the first few episodes. Each episode is just over 15 minutes long and features some fabulous comedians new and old such as Patti Harrison and Tim Heidecker.

If you are in the mood for some good old country music, Whitey Morgan and the 78’s will be playing at Slims in San Francisco this Thursday. On a related note, and for another “late to the party” recommendation, I just started watching “Nashville” this past month and, while it isn’t on any American streaming services, the music in it is actually phenomenal. So if you are interested in country music, go check out the “Nashville” seasons 1 and 2 soundtrack on Spotify.

On Friday check out “Mother’s Milk: A Blues & Gospel Musical in 3 Acts” premiering at the Marsh. The SF Examiner says of writer and performer Wayne Harris’s solo show, “Music, memory meld magically in ‘Mother’s Milk.’ Whether he’s channeling various characters or just singing as himself, he mesmerizes.” In an unrelated but still worthy Friday night endeavor: I’m not sure how I missed this, but at the beginning of this year Conor Oberst and Phoebe Bridgers started making beautiful music together in their new group “Better Oblivion Community Center” that definitely warrants a listen for those of you who are partial to Oberst’s particular brand of gravely indie magic.

Spend your Sunday with the talented staff of the Daily Cal Arts department. First, as always, be sure to check out Areyon Jolivette’s weekly column. This week she focuses on her evolving relationship with Michael Jackson’s music given the ongoing allegations against him. Two of my favorite artists recently had their concert reviewed by Daily Cal arts staff, with Areyon Jolivette reviewing King Princess and Salem Sulaiman reviewing Leikeli47. Nikki Munoz also reviewed the newest BareStage production, “Carrie: The Musical,” praising the production and critiquing some of the show’s technical mishaps.

That’s all for this week. Other recommendations include: Start working on your final papers now! You will thank me later.

Until next time,

Kate

Subscribe to our Picks of the Weeks newsletter

Check out our arts & entertainment staff's weekly newsletter on local concerts, shows, cultural events and more.
  • Please let us know what types of events you'd like to learn more about, both in terms of type of art (e.g. concerts, art galleries, theater shows) and in terms of location (e.g. Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco).

Kate Tinney writes the picks of the week newsletter. Contact her at [email protected]. Tweet her at @katetinney.