6 emotional stages of class registration that are all too relatable

Jenna Wong/File

It’s a given that college classes are stressful, but we at the Clog believe that class registration is even more so. Every student has gone through the emotional rollercoaster that is class registration via CalCentral. To sum up your experience, we’ve outlined the many stages that make up this trying time. Send this to your loved ones so they can sympathize with this traumatizing experience and provide the best emotional support for you.

Optimism

You log onto CalCentral, open up the Schedule Planner and instantly plug in a break for Friday — you’re confident that you’ll find the perfect schedule that’ll allow you to have a three-day weekend. While you’re at it, why not add in a daily break from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.? That way you can sleep in every day!

Reality starts to kick in…

You begin by perusing the Berkeley Course Catalog. Finding the perfect classes that’ll satisfy both your requirements and ideal schedule is daunting, but you’re sure you can do it! You find some classes that look promising and input them into your schedule planner. Alas! This class is Monday-Wednesday-Friday, so your three-day weekend is definitely not happening. Oh well — at least your classes don’t start until 10 a.m.

Panic

Wait, how did you not know that your enrollment time is in August at midnight?! Is that even legal? All your friends have their enrollment times in April…

MORE PANIC!

You now realize that your ideal schedule is most definitely not going to pan out. You make four different schedule templates just so you won’t have to panic last minute if a class fills up. Your ideal schedule has progressed from 10 a.m.s and no classes Fridays to six-hour class blocks that start promptly at 8 a.m. each day. But, at least you’ve prepared a bunch of different schedules, so there’s no way anything can go wrong come enrollment day! 

Utter hysteria

It’s enrollment day, your registration time is in 10 minutes, and you’ve just found out that at least one class in each of your potential schedules has filled up. Enrollment is looming, and you still haven’t found a schedule that’ll satisfy your major and college requirements.

Acceptance of your miserable fate

Somehow, you’ve pulled through just in time for enrollment. Sure, your schedule isn’t ideal. You might have to wake up at the crack of dawn each day and have zero free time until 9 p.m., but at least you get to attend UC Berkeley, the No. 1 public institution in the world! 

And there you have it: the six emotional stages of class registration that are unfortunately all too relatable for your average UC Berkeley student. Go Bears!

Contact Jazmin Cubilla at [email protected].