Cal’s Collin Morikawa named Pac-12 Men’s Golfer of the Year

After closing out the Pac-12 championships last week with a four-stroke victory, senior Collin Morikawa was named the Pac-12 Men’s Golfer of the Year. With this honor, Morikawa has now earned first-team All-Pac-12 honors in each of his four years on the team, becoming the first Bear to accomplish this feat.

Morikawa is the second player in Cal men’s golf history to be named the Pac-12 Golfer of the Year, is currently a candidate for national player of the year and is ranked second in the nation according to Golfstat and first in the Pac-12.

“It’s truly an honor to be named the Pac-12 Men’s Golfer of the Year,” Morikawa said in a press release. “This conference is one of the strongest each and every year and to have the opportunity to go up against competitive teams and players year round is exactly what college athletics is about.”

Along with Morikawa, redshirt senior Sebastian Crampton, redshirt senior K.K. Limbhasut and freshman James Song also received recognition from the Pac-12. Crampton was named to the Pac-12 first team for the first time in his career, and Limbhasut made it to the second team. Song was named to the Pac-12 All-Freshman team.

Yesterday, the No. 10 Bears were selected to play at the NCAA Myrtle Beach Regional as the second seed behind No. 3 Wake Forest. They hope to finish in the top five to qualify for the NCAA championships for the first time since 2016.

Akshara Majjiga covers men’s golf. Contact her at [email protected].