Bear’s Lair Tavern closed until further notice, amid ASUC Student Union discussions

Angelina Yin/Staff

Bear’s Lair Tavern, a campus restaurant and pub at 2465 Bancroft Way, closed temporarily in April for an unknown period of time, according to a note on its door.

Bear’s Lair Tavern has served the UC Berkeley community since 1962. According to campus spokesperson Adam Ratliff, the tavern was managed by The RedDoor Catering, an Oakland-based catering company, since the summer of 2018.

“Discussions are currently taking place between the UC Berkeley ASUC Student Union and The Red Door Group,” Ratliff said.The ASUC is focused on re-imagining use of the space, and are in preliminary stages. No decisions have been made at this point about the future.”

Bear’s Lair Tavern closed down for the first time in 2012, during the construction of Eshleman Hall. The tavern reopened in fall 2015 under the management of the food service company Chartwells. Chartwells agreed to keep the tavern open until May 2018, when The RedDoor Catering began managing it.

Bear’s Lair Tavern aimed to take an innovative approach to a traditional pub by combining a modern aesthetic and authentic service, according to its website.

“At Bear’s Lair Tavern, my team and I have brought our passion, creativity and extensive culinary experience together to create something truly special,” said Reign Free, Bear’s Lair Tavern’s managing partner and The RedDoor Catering’s founder, on the tavern’s website.

Bear’s Lair Tavern delivers fresh ingredients and artisanal elements to a space for a community of students and faculty to be nourished, according to Free on the tavern’s website.

Campus alumnus Kira Levy remembers the tavern as having a “fun atmosphere.”

“I remember it being fun. I went with some friends — we went there for a celebration; it was a big party there,” Levy said.

According to the note posted on the door of the tavern, Bear’s Lair Tavern will remain closed until further notice.

Contact Aishwarya Kaimal at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @Aishwarya_R_K‏.