Lettuce do our best: Healthy snacks to fuel your dead week

Stephanie Li/Senior Staff

Dead week sucks — it feels like the days drag on in an endless haze of studying where there’s absolutely no time to prepare healthy food. We at the Clog, however, have compiled some easy snacks that take no time at all to make and that will help get you through this final slump before summer break begins.

Brown rice cakes

The beauty of brown rice cakes is that they’ll provide you with complex carbs — slow-digesting carbohydrates that won’t cause your blood sugar levels to spike, leaving you with a steady stream of energy to power you through a few hours of studying. Pair the rice cakes with some peanut butter, banana and a sprinkling of cinnamon for a sweet pick-me-up, or top the cakes with some smashed avocado, tuna and a squeeze of lemon for a protein-packed lunch.

Lettuce cups

Sometimes the absolute last thing you feel like eating is a salad, but there’s just something different about eating your greens in the form of lettuce cups. The best thing is you can put virtually anything in lettuce cups: ham and cheese, tuna salad, hummus or even leftover Chinese food!

Perfect Bars

The fact that these bars need to be refrigerated goes to show the quality of ingredients that goes into them. You won’t find any artificial sweeteners here, but rather just good old nut butter and some added superfoods. You can get them for $2 at your local Trader Joe’s and store them unrefrigerated for up to one week — they’re perfect for taking on the go.

Chia seed pudding

Similar to overnight oats, chia seed pudding is incredibly easy to make. Just chuck the ingredients in a Mason jar, give them a shake, and store overnight in the fridge — you’ll wake up to a filling and nutritious snack! An easy recipe is mixing ⅓ cup of chia seeds, 1 cup of almond milk, 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and the fruit of your choice.

Greek yogurt and granola

This classic pairing needed to be included on this list for three important reasons: One, the protein-packed Greek yogurt will keep you full; two, the granola will provide healthy fats and a delicious crunch; and three, it’s plain old delicious. Keep the granola in a separate container, and add it to the yogurt when you’re ready to eat for a simple and satisfying snack.

We hope you enjoyed this list of easy-to-make snacks. Rest assured that with this guide, you’ll be able to power your days with healthy food as you continue along the path to acing your finals.

Contact Jazmin Cubilla at [email protected].