3 Cal softball players earn Pac-12 honors

Michael Wan/File

Cal softball seniors Lindsay Rood and Kamalani Dung have both earned All-Pac-12 honors, while underclassman Makena Smith has been named to the Pac-12 All-Freshman team as the sole representative for the Bears.

Rood, Cal’s leadoff hitter and base-stealing fiend, tops the team in batting average, runs, hits, doubles and, of course, stolen bases. The shortstop leads the Pac-12 in her specialty and is 30 for 30 on the year; the senior is also tied for second in the nation in hits with 78. This year marks Rood’s fourth consecutive season being named to an All-Pac-12 team.

In the circle, Dung has been one of Cal’s most flauntable accessories — the senior co-ace has fanned 157 batters this season and is the only pitcher to render No. 4 Arizona scoreless all year. She also ranks eighth in the Pac-12 for both her 2.32 ERA and her 13 wins.

Despite this being Dung’s first All-Pac-12 honor, the right-hander led the Puerto Rican national team to its first gold medal in more than two decades last summer and was awarded multiple Mountain West Conference honors, including 2017 Pitcher of the Year, during her two years at Fresno State.

Catcher and first baseman Makena Smith leads the team in RBI with 37 and places third on the team with her .315 batting average; additionally, she totals five home runs on the year and has started in all 55 games.

Emily Ohman is an assistant sports editor. Contact her at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @emilyohman34.