Former Cal men’s basketball forward to transfer to Ohio State University

Al Sermeno/KLCFotos.com/Courtesy

Cal men’s basketball has suffered another huge blow as forward Justice Sueing has announced that he will transfer from the program to Ohio State University.

“After a long and thoughtful process & many prayers I’m excited to announce I’ll be continuing my career & education at THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY,” Sueing wrote in a Twitter post.

The loss of Sueing is a critical one for a Cal team looking to climb out of the Pac-12’s basement. As a sophomore, Sueing finished in the top two in all five major statistical categories for the Bears, leading the team in points (14.7), rebounds (6.0) and steals (1.9) while ranking second in assists (2.0) and blocks (0.5).

Sueing becomes the second major piece of last season’s core to transfer from the program, the first being Darius McNeill, who transferred to SMU. Last season, Sueing and McNeill accounted for 37 percent of Cal’s points and finished first and second in total points scored, respectively.

Per NCAA transfer rules, Sueing will have to sit out next season but will be eligible for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons.

With Sueing having made his decision, Connor Vanover and Roman Davis are now the only two players from last year’s team to still be in the NCAA transfer portal. Guard Juhwan Harris-Dyson recently elected to remove his name from the portal and remain with the team.

Justice delos Santos covers men’s basketball. Contact Justice delos Santos at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @justdelossantos.