‘Strong investment’: May revision to governor’s budget provides funds to UC system

Under the May revision to Gov. Gavin Newsom’s state budget, the UC system is being provided with an ongoing $240 million from the state’s general fund as well as a $153 million one-time general fund investment — with the expectation that UC Board of Regents will not increase tuition for the 2019-20 academic year.

According to the text of the May revision, the proposed budget will support a variety of programs, including the UC retirement program, UCSF’s Dyslexia Center pilot program and assistance for homeless students. The revision to the budget also allocates funds to the California State University system and to community colleges.

“The University of California appreciates the strong investment in higher education reflected in Governor Newsom’s January budget introduction, as well as the additional proposed investments from the May Revision, such as ongoing funds to support housing for homeless students,” said UC President Janet Napolitano in a statement.

Napolitano also said in the statement that the UC system looks forward to working with the California State Legislature to acquire additional funding that would make the one-time funding allocated in the Budget Act of 2018 permanent. She added that the budget discussed in the May revision could “bolster academic growth and access throughout the university.”

In her statement, Napolitano said the UC system also hopes for continued collaboration with California State Legislatures as they work to identify resources that would help the UC system meet its goals for years to come.

Napolitano added that the UC system hopes to provide more degrees that better supply the workforce, promote equity in degree attainment and invest further in UC faculty and research.

“As a partner with the governor and the Legislature in enhancing the accessibility and affordability of a high-quality UC education, we truly value the mutual commitment to achieving shared objectives and advancing the California dream,” Napolitano said in the statement.

Mallika Seshadri is the lead higher education reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SeshadriMallika.