Cal football inside linebacker Evan Weaver named to Lott IMPACT Trophy watchlist

Karen Chow/Senior Staff

Cal football’s breakout defensive star Evan Weaver was named to the Lott IMPACT Trophy watchlist on Friday.

Weaver is the third Bear in three consecutive seasons to earn this nomination, joining fellow linebackers Jordan Kunaszyk (2018) and Devante Downs (2017).

In his first full season as a starter, the rising senior from Spokane, Washington, recorded a team-high 159 tackles. His 230 career tackles put him just 29 behind Mychal Kendricks for 10th most in program history.

Weaver played a noteworthy role in two of Cal’s biggest wins last season, catching and scrambling for a game-winning pick-six against No. 15 Washington and sacking USC quarterback J.T. Daniels on back-to-back drives in the fourth quarter. On Nov. 24, Weaver posted a career-high 18 tackles against Colorado in a 33-21 win as well.

Named after former USC and NFL star safety Ronnie Lott, the Lott IMPACT Trophy is given annually to a defensive college football student-athlete who best exemplifies the components of the IMPACT acronym (integrity, maturity, performance, academics, community and tenacity). Weaver was one of 42 student-athletes named to the watchlist on Friday morning.

Cal’s last Lott IMPACT Trophy winner was defensive back Daymeion (Dante) Hughes, who secured the honor in 2006.

Josh Yuen covers football. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @joshcal2020.