MLS check-in: A new goal king reigns

Wikimedia/Creative Commons

Chris Wondolowski scores 4 to secure the MLS all-time regular season goal scoring record

Take a seat, Landon Donovan. There is a new king in town.

Finally, after 10 goalless appearances to start the season, American soccer legend and San Jose Earthquakes striker Chris Wondolowski became the highest-scoring regular season player in Major League Soccer’s young history, with 148 goals and counting.

Wondolowski added even more milestones to his decorated resume Saturday after scoring his 41st game-winning goal — tying Donovan’s all-time MLS record — and earning his fifth career hat trick.

The player from Danville helped his team to its fourth win of the season over the Chicago Fire, yet San Jose still lies in the bottom half of the Western Conference. As the Bay’s only MLS team, the Earthquakes’ mediocrity often gets lost in the shadow of its successful neighbors.

Their beautiful, soccer-specific Avaya Stadium has a mostly vacant existence, as newly hired manager Matías Almeyda is attempting to right the wrongs of the past five seasons. San Jose’s last notable season was in 2012, when Wondolowski scored 27 goals to break the then-single-season scoring record while leading the team to a first-place regular season finish.

Bruce Arena replaces former U.S. goalkeeper Brad Friedel as manager of the New England Revolution

Yes, that Bruce Arena. The man who led the U.S. men’s national team to its demise after it failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup is back and “better” than ever. With a chip on his shoulder, the most accomplished manager in MLS history — after winning five championship trophies with D.C. United and the Los Angeles Galaxy — will be looking to create a winning culture in a pit of despair.

The New England Revolution have been the laughingstock of MLS for a few seasons now, as owner Robert Kraft notoriously chooses to focus on his affairs in the NFL with the New England Patriots over his underfunded and underperforming soccer club.

However, Arena’s appointment sends a message to the rest of the league that the Revs are ready to win right now. Many presume New England is ready to shell out the cash after hiring one of the most sought-after coaches in the league.

Minnesota United fans can sing

Since the opening of Allianz Field in April, the Minnesota United have built one of the most hostile environments in the league in just their third season as a club.

The $200 million stadium’s featured “Wonderwall” — a nearly 3,000 seat, safe-standing terrace located behind the south-end goal — has taken the internet by storm since its inception. Fittingly, United’s supporters on the terrace sing Oasis’ “Wonderwall” after every home win, and it’s absolutely beautiful. Take a look/listen here.

The supporters sang loud and proud after their team defeated the Columbus Crew, 1-0, on Saturday, earning them their fifth win on the season. This strong start for the United has been a breath of fresh air after the team endured one of the worst seasons in MLS history in 2018.

Spencer Golanka covers softball. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter at @sgolanka.