BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 03, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

The Clog's power ranking of best Bay Area beaches

OLIVIA STASER | STAFF

blog_oliviastaser

MAY 22, 2019

Summertime equals beach time. While the Pacific Ocean in the Bay is particularly unforgiving, even during the warm months, that doesn’t stop the locals! Take the Clog’s advice on the best Bay Area (and nearby) beaches to hit up this summer!

1. San Carlos Beach, Monterey

Monterey is a lovely, idyllic beach town that’s packed with fun things to do. But for now, let the San Carlos Beach capture your attention. Overlooking the stunningly blue Monterey Bay, this beach always has the perfect ratio of people to sand.

1. Carmel Beach, Carmel-by-the-Sea

Talk about relaxing! Sunsets over Carmel Beach are not to be missed. Carmel Beach is often filled with cute doggos and soft sand. If you have time to make it down here, we highly recommend it!

1. Lighthouse Field State Beach, Santa Cruz

Ditch the boardwalk and head over to the lighthouse — you won’t regret it. Lighthouse Field State Beach is far from crowded and has all the allure of Santa Cruz the boardwalk drowns out. The sand is clean and the waves are surf-worthy.

1. Ocean Beach, San Francisco

While its water may not be the safest, this beach is always a nice place to relax that’s pretty close to Berkeley. You can often catch people parasailing or dogs running wild with their owners. (This is where CorgiCon is held!) And it’s just a few miles from inner San Francisco, should you want to continue your day there.

1. Stinson Beach, Bolinas

Stinson Beach is a very nature-y beach, if that’s your thing. You can even go hiking up a mountain beforehand and relax in the sand after. There are also tons of fun events held there during the holidays, like the Annual 4th of July Tug of War Contest.

Of course, when we say Bay Area, we mean the surrounding places, too, seeing how they take up the majority of our list. Either way, these beaches are not to be left unvisited; take it from us.

Contact Pooja Bale at [email protected] .

MAY 23, 2019