BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Berkeley police report 1 armed robbery, 1 attempted robbery

DANIEL KIM | FILE

Oakland Police Department started an investigation on alleged anti-Asian hate crimes through social media. After confirming the existence of these posts, the police were able to identify the suspect as a Berkeley man.

MAY 23, 2019

One armed robbery and one attempted robbery took place in the span of one day, according to an email from Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Byron White.

According to the email, at 9:10 p.m. on May 15, a 27-year-old Berkeley man was approached from behind by two suspects as he was walking on the 2300 block of Ellsworth Street. The email said one of the suspects pulled out a knife and demanded the man’s cash, and the man fell to the ground, startled by the suspects. When the man told the suspects he had no cash, the suspects ran away. The email said witnesses described one suspect as a 17- to 21-year-old Hispanic adult male with a skinny build, wearing a black hooded top and armed with a knife. Witnesses described the other suspect as a 17- to 21-year-old Hispanic male adult with a heavy build and wearing a light gray hooded top.

At 11 p.m. on May 15, two suspects approached a 43-year-old Oakland man who was delivering pizzas to the 900 block of Addison Street, according to the email. The suspects pointed a handgun at the man, demanding his wallet and cellphone. According to the email, the suspects drove away in a four-door sedan after taking the man’s wallet and cash, and they were last seen going westbound on Addison Street. Witnesses described one suspect as a Black male in his 20s, about 5 feet, 5 inches tall, with a thin build and wearing a long black jacket and pants. The other suspect was described as a white male in his 20s, about 5 feet, 5 inches tall, with a thin build and wearing a dark hooded top.

Contact Sabrina Dong at  or on Twitter

MAY 28, 2019