Berkeley police report 2 cellphone robberies in 1 week

A yellow tape that reads "Police Line Do Not Cross" cuts across a street.
Daniel Kim /File

Two cellphone robberies took place in the span of one week, according to an email sent out by Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Byron White on Wednesday.

According to the email, at 6:44 p.m. on May 13, a 44-year-old Oakland man was approached by a suspect from behind while walking on 61st Street near Market Street. The man pushed the suspect away after the suspect tried to grab him. According to the email, two other suspects approached and took his cellphone, and then the suspects fled the area. Witnesses described one of the suspects as a young Black male, about 5 feet, 8 inches tall and wearing dark clothing.

At 9:30 p.m. on May 16, a group of 10 teenagers approached a 17-year-old Berkeley female walking on the 2000 block of Blake Street, according to the email. One female from the group demanded the victim’s property, and when she refused, the suspect snatched the phone from her hands. The email said the suspects then left the area and were last seen traveling westbound on Blake Street. According to the email, witnesses described the suspect as a young Black or mixed-race female, about 5 feet, 5 to 6 inches tall, with a skinny build and dark hair that was in a bun.

Sabrina Dong is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @Sabrina_Dong_.