Quiz: Which type of common swimming pool are you?

A woman holding a drink floating on a pool
Emily Bi/Senior Staff

At some point this summer (if you haven’t already), you’re naturally going to find yourself at the pool. Whether you’re tanning on the deck (with sunscreen on, we hope) or playing an amateur game of water polo, the pool in the summer is a magical place. Take this quiz and discover which type of pool best reflects your personality and personal convictions.

1. What really gets you down?
    1. Morning practice.
    2. When someone won’t stop complaining about the same thing — maybe try looking for a solution or keep your bad attitude deep inside your sour self.
    3. When everyone starts buying the same shoes I bought months ago, before they were cool.
    4. When someone eats the food I bought, even though it’s LABELED and in my respective cabinet.
  2. Where is your favorite place to waste the whole summer day away?
    1. The beach — bring a few blankets, firewood, some food and drinks, and a speaker, and you got your day made.
    2. In my bed with the blinds drawn so that there’s no glare on the Netflix I’m bingeing. Can’t stop me now.
    3. A café, reading any one of those books I had been setting aside all year, telling myself I’ll read them when I have more time.
    4. Meandering the cobblestone streets of a European city, wrought with history and charm.
  3. How strong of a swimmer are you?
    1. (Keep it on the DL, but I haven’t learned how to swim.)
    2. I’ve been swimming for 15 years, so … very?
    3. I can do a cartwheel in the water, but I’ve never heard of a flip turn.
    4. I swam for two years in middle school, but don’t ask me to tread for more than 30 seconds.
  4. What time do you get up in the morning, now that you’re on break?
    1. 2 p.m. — who’s gonna stop me?
    2. 6 a.m. We’re talkin’ about practice.
    3. Sleep? Don’t know her.
    4. 8:30 a.m. Tragic force of habit.
  5. Imagine you’re on a plane headed to Hawaii. Which is your preferred movie?
    1. “Finding Nemo”
    2. “Titanic”
    3. “The Dark Knight” (The only thing that matters is RACHEL)
    4. “Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure”
  6. How much water do you drink in a day?
    1. None until right before bed, which is when I chug four tall glasses in the dark of my kitchen.
    2. Whatever I ingested during swim practice.
    3. Not sure — probably a glass with every meal.
    4. Two whole 32-ounce Hydro Flasks.
  7. Do you pee in the pool?
    1. Yes.
    2. No.
    3. Please don’t ever ask me this again.
    4. Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do.
    1. You’re the kiddie pool on deck. You never take sunscreen seriously, and you’re the clown of the family and the friend group. You know how to get your friends talking, and you always have Tea (with a capital “T”) to spill. But secretly, you’re rather afraid of the depths of your subconscious, and this drives your tendency to keep some things shallow.
    2. You’re the yard pool. You keep it real and keep it fresh. Whether you’re using your yard-pool nature for competition or carefree lap swimming, you’re generally pretty balanced and fair. Some call you the mom of the friend group — you can get down to business, but you relax best when alone. You do, however, desperately want to be of Olympic status.
    3. You’re a meter pool, and that makes you the contrarian. Hipster of the family and friend group, you truly want to be a trendsetter. You’re very serious about your passions, and this makes you an excellent artist, but you could learn to have a little more fun.
    4. You’re the indoor pool: a dad among friends. You sure can have a lot of fun, but you desperately want to be taken seriously, as you pride yourself in not being the kiddie pool, the literal child of the group. You’re a comfortable place for others to have deep talks, and you’re a trustworthy confidant at that.

Skylar Sjoberg is the assistant blog editor. Contact Skylar Sjoberg at [email protected].