BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Korey Lee selected 32nd overall by Houston Astros

IRELAND WAGNER | STAFF

JUNE 03, 2019

An already unforgettable year just got even more memorable for Korey Lee, as he was selected by the Houston Astros with the 32nd and final pick of the first round of the 2019 MLB draft.

With teammate Andrew Vaughn having been picked third overall, Cal becomes the only school in this year’s draft to have multiple first-round selections. This marks is the first time in program history that two players have been selected in the first round of the same draft.

It’s poetic that both Vaughn and Lee were selected in the first round, as the latter often hit behind the former. When pitchers threw around Vaughn, they’d have to battle with Lee, who provided plenty of protection in what was a breakout season.

As a junior, Lee shattered previous career highs left and right, recording personal bests in batting average (.338), on-base percentage (.419), slugging percentage (.626), home runs (15) and RBI (57).

Heading into the 2019 season, Lee had a career slash line (batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage) of .253/.332/.392 with five home runs and 29 RBI.

The backstop was just as dangerous when it came to controlling the running game, throwing out 12 of 30 runners attempting to steal.

Lee’s prowess both at and behind the dish was recognized when he earned a spot on the 2019 Pac-12 All-Conference team and was named a semifinalist for the Buster Posey Award.

Justice delos Santos is the assistant sports editor. Contact Justice delos Santos at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @justdelossantos.

JUNE 05, 2019