Jared Horn drafted in 7th round of 2019 MLB draft

Lianne Frick/File

Jared Horn had the opportunity to go to the pros straight out of high school, having been selected in the 20th round by the Milwaukee Brewers in 2016. Instead of making the leap, Horn chose the college route. Three years later, that decision is paying dividends.

Horn was selected in the seventh round (219th overall) in the 2019 MLB draft by the Colorado Rockies. The hurler becomes the fourth Bear to be selected in this year’s draft, joining Andrew Vaughn, Korey Lee and Cameron Eden.

Despite missing the first month of play after undergoing an appendectomy, Horn put together one of the finest seasons by a Cal hurler in recent memory. Horn earned a spot on the Pac-12 All-Conference team for his efforts as a junior, recording a 2.06 ERA and 62 strikeouts, both of which are career highs.

After returning from injury, Horn only needed a couple starts to ease into things before becoming the team’s workhorse. Even with the missed time, Horn threw a career-high 74.1 innings, which was the second most on the Cal team and was tied for 14th most in the conference.

Horn had a masterful stretch midway through the season in which he threw at least eight innings in four consecutive starts against Washington State, Arizona, No. 1 UCLA and Oregon. Against the Bruins, Horn threw 8.1 innings and struck out a career-high 10 batters en route to winning Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week.

In his final start of the regular season, Horn threw a complete game against Arizona State, the first of his career, allowing only two earned runs and striking out nine batters.

Justice delos Santos is the assistant sports editor. Contact Justice delos Santos at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @justdelossantos.