San Jose band Kitty Kat Fan Club’s ‘Dreamy Little You’ offers sample of styles

Asian Man Records/Courtesy

If you’re looking for some easygoing, female-fronted punk music to start out your June, look no further than Kitty Kat Fan Club’s newest album, Dreamy Little You. The San Jose “funky metal” band, as it jokingly calls itself, released this project on Friday.

Kitty Kat Fan Club is made up of local musicians from different bands who originally came together to hang out and play music. The dynamic was so great that they just so happened to make their own band out of it. The group released its first EP, Songs About Cats, in 2016, and Dreamy Little You is its first full-length album.

The album begins with its namesake, “Dreamy Little You.” Reminiscent of artists like Kate Micucci and The Prettiots, this tune sets listeners up with a pleasant horn section, bright guitars and folky vocals that vein through the entire album.

“I’m Loving You More Than I Should” carries a sweet beach-rock vibe but describes the fear that can come with falling in love too fast. The stacked vocals and keyboard interludes pair well with the new-punk style of the band, adding organic dimension to the songs.

Many of the 12 songs on the album provide only short tastes of the band’s sound, making the album much like a musical buffet. Considering the longest of the songs clocks in at just more than three minutes, listening through Dreamy Little You doesn’t even take half an hour. “Send Me a Message for the Holidays,” the shortest song at only one minute and 33 seconds, is an upbeat racing of drums, smooth guitar riffs and grainy vocals. While the length of the songs makes sense for the genre, it would be nice to hear some longer tracks to expand on the dynamics of the band in the future.

Kitty Kat Fan Club does a spot-on job of maintaining a consistent style without the songs on the album sounding too similar. The transition between “Happy Now, Loving You” and “Beth and Me” provides a nice shift in energy for listeners, switching from a faster synthy rock song to a more low-key indie-sounding tune.

“You Got Me Modernized” is one of the more classically punk songs on the album, full of spunky repeated choruses and chaotic instrumentals. Channeling The B-52’s’ era of new wave American underground sound, the call-out background yells create a DIY kaleidoscope of punchy vocals.

The cover art for the album features a big-eyed cat looking up at a bird, perched out of reach. Kitty Kat Fan Club albums always feature some kind of feline on their covers, but this illustration in particular holds more of a Bon Iver style than the group’s other more cartoonish creations, potentially signaling the maturing of both the band’s sound and its aesthetic.

The last song on the album, “Giving up the Worries for a Chance to Be Free,” details the warmth of letting go and taking a breath. The brightness of the guitar on this song mirrors the coziness of the lyrics, closing the album with a cheerful message of positivity and freedom.

Kitty Kat Fan Club pulls sound from many of the other bands the members are in, such as Just Friends, Stickup Kid and the Albert Square (just to name a few). This sampler of the band is sure to be a local hit, and fans can only hope for some longer tracks in the future.

Contact Skylar De Paul at [email protected]. Tweet her at @skylardepaul.