Arman Sabouri drafted in 12th round of 2019 MLB draft

Kevin Foote/Senior Staff

Few pitchers have personified the concept of versatility more than Arman Sabouri. He was a starter. He was a reliever. He was an opener. He was a closer.

Whatever role he takes on next, it may be at the professional level, as the do-it-all hurler was selected in the 12th round (373rd overall) of the 2019 MLB draft by the Milwaukee Brewers.

Sabouri was unquestionably the Swiss Army knife of the Bears’ pitching rotation, taking on each and every role that head coach Mike Neu put him in.

Some days, Sabouri played the role of opener, throwing two or three innings before handing the ball over to the bullpen. Other days, the southpaw embodied the more traditional role of closer and shut the door on the opposition.

The end result of Sabouri’s efforts was him finishing the season with 16 starts and four saves. Sabouri’s willingness to be Cal’s everyman was reflected in the conference leaderboards, as he was the only pitcher in the Pac-12 to finish in the top 1o in both starts (tied for first) and saves (tied for eighth) this season.

Sabouri pitched exceptionally well regardless of role, recording career bests in ERA (2.81), strikeouts (71) and innings pitched (57.2) en route to an All-Pac-12 honorable mention.

Sabouri was the fifth Bear to be selected in this year’s draft, joining Andrew Vaughn, Korey Lee, Cameron Eden and Jared Horn.

Justice delos Santos is the assistant sports editor. Contact Justice delos Santos at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @justdelossantos.