Rogelio Reyes drafted in 22nd round of 2019 MLB draft

Kevin Foote/File

The 2019 season saw numerous players on Cal baseball make drastic leaps in terms of performance, but no player made more of a leap than pitcher Rogelio Reyes. That development was enough to earn Reyes an opportunity at the next level, as he was selected in the 22nd round (659th overall) in the 2019 MLB draft by the Minnesota Twins.

It’s hard to overstate just how much Reyes improved as a junior — entering this season, the right-hander had a career ERA of 8.20 over 56 innings pitched. Reyes improved his command as a sophomore but still ended his second season with an 8.26 ERA.

Despite a rough introduction to college ball, Reyes shook it off and became one of the Pac-12’s better pitchers, recording an ERA of 3.38, striking out 57 batters and logging 61.1 innings, all of which are career bests.

Much like Arman Sabouri, Reyes took on numerous roles. While Reyes never started any games, he would, on occasion, pitch in long relief following an opener, throwing three or more innings in 11 of his 20 appearances.

Reyes becomes the sixth Bear taken in this year’s draft, joining Andrew Vaughn, Korey Lee, Cameron Eden, Jared Horn and Arman Sabouri.

Justice delos Santos is the assistant sports editor. Contact Justice delos Santos at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @justdelossantos.