San Leandro police arrest man for allegedly impersonating police officer

Xiaoye Yan/File

San Leandro police arrested Oakland resident Sergio Taylor — who was wanted by the Berkeley Police Department — on suspicion of impersonating a police officer at the San Leandro Cherry Festival on Saturday, according to a press release from the San Leandro Police Department, or SLPD.

According to the press release, Taylor had been wanted for an outstanding arrest warrant, which alleged firearm-related offenses and a probation violation and was connected to a May 12 incident at Kip’s Bar on Durant Avenue in Berkeley. SLPD officers recognized Taylor — who was wearing a “K9 Unit” police-style uniform complete with a ballistic vest, duty belt, Taser, firearm and ammunition, and was accompanied by a German shepherd — from a BPD “wanted” flyer.

“This was a dangerous situation, as Taylor looked like a police officer, yet he is not, and he was carrying a Taser, replica firearm and live ammunition, which he is prohibited from possessing,” said SLPD Lt. Robert McManus in the press release. “Most people would not be able to tell the difference between this impersonator and a real police officer.”

SLPD officers took Taylor into custody after he had driven away with Oakland resident John Payne in a vehicle “with security markings on it that resembled a police car,” according to the press release.

While searching the car, officers discovered a replica firearm, not capable of firing ammunition, that was nearly identical to department-issued pistols, according to the press release. Officers also found a Glock magazine with live ammunition inside of it.

According to the press release, Taylor was charged by the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office with “impersonating a police officer, firearms violations, and violating the terms and conditions of his probation.”

SLPD also arrested Payne on suspicion of delaying the investigation and is continuing the investigation involving him, according to the press release.

According to the press release, Bay Area law enforcement agencies are working together to find out whether either of the two is responsible for any other crimes. SLPD has asked anyone with information regarding this case to contact the department’s Criminal Investigation Division at 510-577-3230.

Emily Hom is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @hom_emily.