BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 26, 2022

2 burglaries occur in Berkeley in 1 night; no one arrested

DANIEL KIM | FILE

|

Staff

JUNE 11, 2019

Two burglaries occurred on Friday, one involving a stolen ATM and the other a home invasion, according to an email sent by Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Byron White.

The email said a suspect broke into Neighbors Market at 1343 Martin Luther King Jr. Way and stole the ATM from within the store. The burglars attached a chain to the bolted ATM and drove off, ripping the ATM free and dragging it behind the vehicle.

According to the email, witnesses have said the suspects fled in a white SUV and a black sedan.

On the same evening, a suspect entered a couple’s home on the 2100 block of Woolsey Street, according to the email. After hearing noises in their home, the residents checked their living room and encountered the suspect, who was described as a Black male, 20-30 years old and 6 feet tall with a large build, who had dreadlocks to his shoulders and was wearing a gray zip-up jacket.

According to the email, the residents yelled at the suspect, who knocked the man to the ground and punched the woman in the face, also knocking her to the ground. As a result of the attack, the couple received cuts and bruises. The email said the suspect ran out of the house empty-handed.

Contact Emily Hom at 

JUNE 11, 2019